• A candidate who has passed + 2 examination from any recognised Board/University in India the equivalence of which is recognised by Panjab University is eligible for admission to the 1st year of BA degree course if she has obtained 33% marks in the aggregate of the qualifying examination.
• Candidates who have passed + 2 examination from the recognised Open Schools are eligible for admission to B.A.1st year course only if their result is shown as "Pass" in their certificate issued by the said Open Schools and they have obtained the equisite percentage of marks prescribed under the University Regulations for admission to the concerned course. In case their result has not been shown as "Pass" in the relevant column of the said certificate, they being ineligible will not be admitted.
• Candidates from the Boards which are not recognised by Panjab University will not be allowed admission.
• The programme of study consists of 24 credits (8 credits per year). Each credit has a value of 100 marks. A subject studied for the whole year carries two credits. All the theory papers and practicals irrespective of their credit value are studied throughout the academic year.
Every student is required to study two compulsory subjects and three elective subjects.
English (one paper) --1 Credit, Punjabi / History and Culture of Punjab (onepaper)-- 1 Credit
*Environment and Road Safely Education (Compulsory Subject to be cleared in one of the three years of Under Graduate Study)-(70 Marks)
A student is required to select any three elective subjects of 2 credits each, selecting not more than one subject from any of the
following sets of combinations:
a) English / Hindi / Punjabi
b) Physical Education / Psychology
c) Home Science / Public Administration
d) Economics / Fine Arts / Political Science
e) Sociology / Computer Science
f) History/Music (Instrumental)/ Functional English
• Students cannot opt for more than two practical subjects. • In case of subjects having practicals, the theory papers and practicals together will be of 2 credits value. The candidate will have to pass in theory and practical(s) separately.
Compulsory study of Punjabi or History and Culture of Punjab
The following students can opt for History and Culture of Punjab:
I) Those who are not domicile of Punjab and have not studied Punjabi language upto Class 10th.
ii) Students originally from Punjab but not domicile of the state and have not studied Punjabi language upto class 10th.
iii) Wards of Defence personnel and Central Gover nment employees who are transferable on All India basis.
iv) Foreign Students.
CHANGE OF SUBJECTS
• A student may with the permission of the Principal and the consent of the lecturer concerned change the subjects in BA I upto
31st July, on the prescribed form obtainable from the office on payment.
• Lectures attended in the subject given up will not be counted towards the subject to be taken up.
• A student is not allowed change of subjects in BA II and III. She is required to study the same subjects, which she had offered in BA I.
Hence a student should select the subject combination very carefully.
BA II, III
Student who has passed any of the following is eligible to join BA II/III:
a) BA I/II from Panjab University
b) BA I/ II from any other University with same subjects/ scheme of course prescribed or will have to pass deficient subjects.
Eligibility is required to be confirmed from the Panjab University, Chandigarh.
c)Every student is required to study the same subjects in BA II & III classes as she had studied in BA I and II examinations. Change of subjects is not allowed. The students have the option of taking up Honours in an elective subject they had studied in BA I when they take admission to BA II
A student can offer Honours in English/ Economics/ Sociology/Psychology provided, she has
a) Studied the subject as an elective subject in BA I and has secured at least 50% marks in it.
b) Compartment students are not allowed to take up Honours.
Note: A Candidate who fails to qualify the Environment Education paper shall not be eligible for the award of degree.